Today the West Coast Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Group and Grey District Council handed over the first of many Civil Defence Centre (CDC) Resource Kits to Kaiata Civil Defence Warden, Pat Cogger.
The resource kits are designed to provide all the necessary items required to start up and run a Civil Defence Centre if a disaster strikes the community. This includes community plans, vests, stationary and forms for registering people who require assistance.
West Coast CDEM is placing the CDC Resource Kits around the three West Coast districts with assistance of the local Councils. Civil Defence relies heavily on communities to prepare themselves prior to a disaster and these resource kits will greatly assist the community in the response to a local emergency.
Civil Defence would like to remind people that they can take some simple steps to be better prepared to reduce the impact of disasters when they happen. All individuals/families need to act now to protect loved ones, their homes and community, including the following.
- Develop a household emergency plan
- An emergency survival kit is a must
- Food and water for at least three days
- Radios, torches, batteries
- Alternative cooking if power and gas are disrupted
- Emergency clothing
- Essential medicines/first aid kit
- Supplies for babies
- A Getaway Kit if you need to be evacuated
- Be familiar with your local Civil Defence Community Plan
Check out www.getthru.govt.nz or www.westcoastemergency.govt.nz.
If you have any questions then please contact your local Emergency Management Officer (EMO):
Date of notice: 21 December 2017