Events in Public Places

So, you have decided you want to hold an event. What do you need to do? This information is designed to highlight some of the procedures that you will need to follow in order to:

  • Secure your venue
  • Comply with Council Regulations and the law
  • Obtain approvals for your event and ensure that you create a safe environment for participants

It is important that before you even contact the Council, you take some time to think about exactly what you are planning to do on the day. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and there may be additional things that you should consider or plan for. Handy contact numbers are at the bottom of this page.

You, as the Event Organiser, may be inviting the public to your event. It is therefore your responsibility to make this a safe and enjoyable experience for all.

Have you thought about?

USE OF LAND – obtaining written permission from adjacent landowners for the planned event.

ROAD CLOSURES – the effect of your event on traffic flows and getting in or out of the event. If you require a road to be closed, Council is required to give a minimum of 42 days public notice to advertise to the public the road closure and it can take up to ten (10) working days to process. You will need to get your application to Council at least 52 days in advance of the event.

Contact: Grey District Council and Transit New Zealand

TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLANS – is any part of your activity to be held within the Councils Road Reserve area?  If so, you will be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan, this must be designed by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) and supervised by a STMS. You require a minimum of ten (10) working days for this to be processed. 

Road Reserve includes footpaths, roads and grass verges and is defined as the area from property boundary over the road to the opposite property boundary.

Contact: Grey District Council and Transit New Zealand

ROADS AFFECTED – is the road a State Highway or Local Road, or does the event affect both? You may have to submit Traffic Management plans to both the Council and Transit New Zealand.

Contact: Grey District Council and Transit New Zealand

RESOURCE CONSENTS – is your planned activity permitted use for the venue?  If not, you may have to apply for a Resource Consent. This can take anywhere from 20 days to 3 months.

Contact: Grey District Council

NOISE CONSENTS - are you planning any live or amplified music? This may require Noise Consent.

Contact: Grey District Council

LIQUOR LICENSE – Are you selling or permitting alcohol at your event? If so, special Liquor licenses may be required.

Contact: Grey District Council

PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE – you will be required to obtain Public Liability Insurance for your event. This would normally be a minimum of $1,000,000. Often a sponsor will provide this coverage as an extension to their existing insurance cover.

BUILDING CONSENTS – do you need Building Consent? YES, for Marquees (over 30 sq meters), stage, fencing, temporary structures, sound towers, sets.

Contact: Grey District Council

NEIGHBOURS – have they been informed? Have you invited them?

FOOD/REFRESHMENTS – who is providing this service? Do they have current licenses?

Contact: Grey District Council

SECURITY – do you need a police presence? Are you providing private security staff?

PARKING – as the event organiser, you do not have an automatic right to contravene normal parking restrictions. Special approvals can be obtained on an event-by-event basis. Have you considered spectators parking?

Contact: Grey District Council and Transit New Zealand

TOILET FACILITIES – how many will you need? What about disabled access?

SIGNAGE – Where are you able to place signs? There are size restrictions, even on temporary signage. Check before you get them made up.

Contact: Grey District Council and Transit New Zealand

ADVERTISEMENT – Have you thought of how to inform the public of the event? You may be required to have advertising as part of the Traffic Management Plan.

POWER ACCESS – is it available? Do you need to organise special connections?

Contact: Electronet

FUNDING ASSISTANCE – Your event may qualify for some financial assistance from the Council. Have you organised sponsors? If bringing visitors to the community, can Development West Coast help?

Contact: Grey District Council and Development West Coast

RUBBISH - Who is cleaning up afterwards? Do you require extra rubbish bins? Do you require larger bins?

HEALTH & SAFETY – every Event Organiser must be aware of their responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act 2015.

Contact: Occupational Safety & Health

FIRE, FIREWORKS, PYROTECHNICS– storage area for dangerous materials must be licensed. You will need to obtain permits and be required to inform Police.

EMERGENCY SERVICES – have you informed Police, St John’s, and other emergency services of the event? Do you require their presence? You may need to contact Maritime Safety Authority or harbourmaster.

HELICOPTERS & AIRPLANES – must comply with standard Civil Aviation rules. Check with Council for sensitive areas and any restrictions.

Contact: Civil Aviation Authority and Grey District Council (Asset & Engineering Department)

Helpful contacts

​West Coast Regional Council ​(03) 768 0466
​Grey District Council​(03) 769 8600
​Buller District Council ​0800 807 239
​Westland District Council ​(03) 756 9010
​Maritime Safety Authority​0508 225 522
​Transit NZ (Opus International)​(03) 768 7179
​Police (Greymouth) (03) 768 1600
​Civil Aviation Authority of NZ (Field Safety Advisor)(03) 349 8687
​Port of Greymouth(03) 768 5666
​Occupational Health & Safety ​(03) 768 0480
​Electronet   ​(03) 768 9300

Last updated: 24 January 2014


Page reviewed: 27 Jan 2017 11:31am