Restricted Building Works

Legislation which came into effect on 1 March 2012 introduced the concept of restricted building work.

If residential building work is structural and/or affects the weathertightness of the building, then it may be restricted building work. This means you must employ a Licenced Building Practitioner (LBP) to design and undertake that work. An LBP must either do the work themselves or be supervised by somebody who is a registered LBP.

LBP's include:

  • Designers
  • Carpenters
  • Roofers
  • External Plasterers
  • Brick and Blocklayers
  • Foundations specialists

Professional Engineers, Architects, Plumbers and Gasfitters are treated as Licensed Building Practitioners and can carry out some restricted building work.

These changes apply now so please take a moment to find out how they affect you.

Supporting documents

You will find the following guidance documents from the Department of Building and Housing on the Customer and Designer Guides page.


  • Changes you need to know
  • Architects, Designers & Engineers
  • Brick & Bricklayers
  • Building Officials
  • Carpenters
  • External Plasterers
  • Foundations
  • Roofers


Forms for Restricted Building Works are on our Forms page.

  • Memorandum - Certificate of Design Work
  • Memorandum - Record of Building Work

For further information, please visit the Department of Building and Housing website,, or contact them on phone 0800 242 243 or 0800 60 60 50 or email ​

Page reviewed: 10 May 2017 12:22pm