Are you eligible for a rates rebate of up to $620 for the 2017/2018 rating year? This page offers a brief overview on how the rates rebate scheme operates.
It is important to note that applications CANNOT be processed until after the rates accounts are sent out in early August of each year.
Background & criteria
- Maximum rebate is $620.
- Income abatement threshold is $24,790 (Note: Your income can be greater than $24,790 and you may still be eligible for a pro-rata rebate).
- Additional income allowance for dependants is $500 per dependant.
- You must be the ratepayer on our records AND reside at the address for which you wish to apply for a rebate as at 1 July 2017.
- Rebates are intended for residential properties only. Properties used principally for commercial, industrial or farming purposes or in the name of a business are not eligible.
- Although a ratepayer's income might exceed the income abatement threshold a rates rebate could still be available, depending on the rates amount and number of dependants. If in doubt please contact the Rates Department.
- If you are granted a rates rebate, Council will credit the rebate to your rates account.
- The total rates payable includes those due to the West Coast Regional Council. Note however that for the Grey District, applications can only be processed by the Grey District Council. You will need to arrange payment of your regional council rates in the normal manner.
Information required to process a rebate application
In order to process a rates rebate application you will need to advise your TOTAL income BEFORE TAX for the year of 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017. Total income declared must include income of spouse/partner if they are resident at the address on 1 July 2017.
Income includes (but is not limited to):
- New Zealand Superannuation
- Work and Income Benefit
- Wages or Salary
- Personal Superannuation
- Share earnings
- Profit before tax from any business (incl. Rental income)
- ACC earnings compensation
- Veteran's pension
- Family Assistance, ie Working for Families tax credits
- plus others
Examples of types NOT included:
- Bonus Bond/Lottery prizes
- Family Support
- Funeral Benefits
- Lump Sum payments from ACC, Insurance
- Family Tax Credit
- plus other capital sources
If you do not already know what your total income before tax is, you will need to contact the organisation(s) you have received the income from (eg employer, bank etc) to find out.
For further information, please contact the Rating Department, phone 03 769 8605 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Department of Internal Affairs website.