History House Pop-Up Museum
Open to the public
Covid-19 update - 7 September 2021
At 11.59pm on Tuesday 7 September 2021, New Zealand with the exception of Auckland will move to Alert Level 2.
Please see below important information on how our Library and Museum will be operating during the Covid-19 Alert Level 2 stage. At all of our Council facilities, we will be taking the below steps to ensure we are following the government's guidelines for keeping our staff and community safe.
For ALL of Council offices and facilities, the following will apply:
- Sign in using the QR Code or alternative confidential register provided on entry.
- Maintain physical distancing of two metres from other people.
- Wear a face covering or mask when inside Council offices or facilities, e.g. Tainui Street office, Library, Westland Recreation Centre or Museum. All of our customer-facing staff will also be wearing masks and there will be Perspex screens/barriers in place.
- Practice good hygiene – please use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Stay home if you are unwell.
- Gatherings in indoor spaces will be restricted to no more than 50 people.
About the Pop-up
The History House Pop-Up Museum space is officially open to the public from Wednesday 5 May 2021.
The opening hours for the Museum will be 12.30pm to 5pm, Wednesday to Friday initially and these will be reviewed after the winter period. Council has signed a three-year lease with the building owner with the right of renewal.
The location of the Museum is 8 Mackay Street, Greymouth just along from the Regent Theatre. The set-up will be similar to the successful pop-up held in the ex Dick Smith building a couple of years ago and Council thinks this location is going to work well, with a highly visible frontage on the main street, the Regent Theatre in close proximity and the floodwall across the road.
Staff have been working hard on the displays for the pop-up, which currently includes interpretation panels and artefacts on mining, floods, sports, the Royal visit in 1954 and local Maori history.
To stay up to date you can follow the official History House social media pages:
Other contact details are:
- Phone: 03 768 4028
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are some images from inside the space.