Grey District Council is made up of two departments, Support and Operations. Some of the responsibilities of each department are detailed below.
- Provision of efficient internal administrative support to Council in the areas of finance, rating, payroll, information management and technology, records management, secretarial support, Council governance including agendas and minutes, legal and insurance services, human resources, health and safety and community grants.
- Responsible for election services, land leases and liaison with central Government and other local bodies.
- Management of and provision of services at Council facilities (i.e. libraries, recreation centre, swimming pools, museum), strategic planning processes, economic development initiatives, events facilitation, co-ordination of policies and bylaws and the community engagement processes.
- Development and co-ordination of the Long Term Plan, Annual Plan and Annual Report processes.
- Management of internal and external communication activities.
- Environmental, planning and development control responsibilities which covers resource management, building control, environmental health, liquor licensing, animal control, noise control and parking control.
- Responsible for enforcement (i.e. parking, freedom camping, untidy properties etc) and emergency management.
- Efficient management of the District's capital and infrastructure assets and the provision of all associated services including roads, bridges, footpaths, streetlights, solid waste, stormwater, wastewater and water supplies.
- Responsible for parks and reserves, management of Council public buildings and property (excluding pensioner housing, libraries and swimming pools), cemeteries, fleet management, energy efficiency and GIS and asset management system services.
- Management of and provision of Councils pensioner housing and In-House Task Force.