Abandoned vehicles cannot remain in public places or on the council reserves for health & safety reasons and general untidiness.
Council handles vehicles which have been abandoned on or located in public places within the Grey District. Council does not have the jurisdiction to deal with abandoned vehicles on private property.
A vehicle such as a car, trailer, truck etc… is considered abandoned if:
- It is parked on Council Road Reserve
- It has been there for an unusual length of time
- The registered owner can’t be identified.
- It is of derelict appearance.
- Registration & Warrant of Fitness/Certificate of Fitness expired by more than 31 days.
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
If the location of the vehicle is posing an immediate obstruction or danger, please contact the Police.
Otherwise, please contact the Council and provide the following information:
- The vehicle's location.
- The vehicle's make, model, colour and registration number.
- How long it has been there.
- The name of the vehicle's owner, if possible. (If the vehicle is near your residence, please ask your neighbours if they know anything about it.)
- Any other information, such as whether wheels are missing or if the vehicle is burnt out.
We will inspect the vehicle and the location and if it falls under Council's jurisdiction, we will remove it. Council will then send a letter to the last registered owner or to the person entitled to possession of the vehicle, advising that they have ten (10) days in which to claim the vehicle.
If in ten (10) days, the vehicle has not been claimed or there is no contact from the last registered owner or to the person entitled to possession of the vehicle we will dispose of it.
To report an abandoned vehicle
Please contact Council Transport & Infrastructure Team on 03 769 8611 during work hours (8am-5pm).
Reclaiming an abandoned vehicle
An abandoned vehicle remains the responsibility of the last registered owner or to the person entitled to possession.
If you are the rightful owner, you can reclaim your vehicle from JW Towing. You will need to provide proof of ownership alongside identification. You will be charged the costs of the removal, storage & disposal. You will be required to make full payment where then arrangements can be made to collect the vehicle.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding payments, please contact JW Towing on 021 169 1486.