A building consent is the formal approval (certificate) issued by a Building Consent Authority (BCA) that confirms we're satisfied on reasonable grounds that any proposed building works meet the requirements of the New Zealand Building Act, Building Regulations and Building Code. A building consent is required before you can begin building works (unless where the building owner has determined that the works may be exempt from requiring a consent under Schedule 1 of the Building Act).
Click here to enlarge the above image (PDF, 151KB).
As an approved BCA, Grey District Council's role includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Receiving, considering and making decisions on applications for building consents within statutory time limits;
- Undertaking inspections of building work to ensure it is compliant with the building consent;
- Issuing building consents, Code Compliance Certificates (CCC) and Compliance Schedules;
- Issuing of Notices to Fix; and
- Dealing with customer enquiries.
The roles and responsibilities of the Grey District Council as a Territorial Authority (TA) which are directly related to building control functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Issuing Project Information Memoranda, Building Consents subject to waivers or modifications, Certificated of Acceptance, amending Compliance Schedules and Certificates for Public Use;
- Administering audits, and enforcing Building Warrants of Fitness;
- Undertaking functions in relation to dangerous, affected, earthquake-prone and insanitary buildings; and
- Granting exemptions under Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004. Note: It is the responsibility of the building Owner(s) to determine if any proposed building work is exempt from requiring a building consent and ensuring it complies with the Building Code.
Applying for a Building Consent
When a Building Consent is required and how to apply for one.
Customer and Designer Information
Guidance and information for customers and designers.
Inspections & Code Compliance Certificates
Building consent inspections and Code Compliance Certificates (CCC).
Types of Inspections
Types of inspections specific to the Grey District Council.
Licenced Building Practitioners (LPB Scheme)
Processing and Granting Building Consents
Processing and granting of building consents, including consent costs and levies.
Restricted Building Work