Issued : Friday 20 December 2019
Submissions close: Closed
What is being proposed?
- Inclusion of the Cemetery Monument Standards in the Cemetery Bylaw (note these have been previously consulted on and no changes to these are proposed).
- Inclusion of the still relevant Pre-Purchase of Cemetery Plots in the Cemeteries Bylaw.
- Removal of the requirement to be a qualified Monumental Mason from the Cemeteries Bylaw.
- Addition of a refundable deposit to be paid to Council before any work is undertaken on the erection and/or maintenance of headstones, monuments and other structures.
- Addition of requirements for rectifying work that does not meet the appropriate standards for work to be undertaken in the district’s cemeteries.
- The Cemetery Monument Dimensional Standard is an Appendix to the Bylaw; however, the dimensional requirements have not been altered from previous consultations.
- The addition of committing to providing Cultural Burials on a case by case basis.
Why is this being proposed?
On review of the current Bylaw and associated policies, it was determined that Council needed to provide a more fit for purpose Bylaw that could also enforce the standards of headstones and monuments in the district’s cemeteries. Council also made the decision that a more locally tailored approach to the Cemetery Bylaw was required to account for our requirements in the Grey District.
What are the options?
OPTION TWO: Council does not accept the Draft Grey District Council Cemeteries Bylaw for targeted and public consultation and accepts the status quo.
This means continuing with the Cemeteries and Cremetoria (NZS 9201:Part 14:1999) Model General Bylaw, Grey District Council Monument Standards and the Cemeteries – Pre-purchasing of plots Policy.
How to have your say
- Council submission form – online or paper
- Email to email@example.com
- Written submissions posted to Grey District Council, PO Box 382, Greymouth or hand delivered to 105 Tainui Street, Greymouth
Summary of Proposal - hard copy of above information (PDF, 149KB)
Draft Cemeteries Bylaw (PDF, 393KB)
Cemetery Monument Standards (PDF, 201KB)
NZS_9201_pt14-1999_Cemeteries and Crematoria (PDF,416KB)
Pre Purchase of Cemetery Plots (PDF, 202KB)
Submission Form (PDF, 151KB)