We’ve had a few queries about who is responsible for damaged/fallen trees.

  • Trees that have been damaged or fallen on private property are the responsibility of the land owner.
  • Trees on public land, road reserve or Council land, or are protected heritage trees, are Council’s responsibility – if you see a dangerous tree on public land, please let us know so we can investigate. Phone 03 769 8600 or email

People who have damaged or uprooted trees on their own property are strongly advised to get it checked out by an arborist or tree specialist - try the White Pages or newspaper for contacts.

NOTE: Reminder that greenwaste or plant matter can be disposed of FREE at McLeans Pit Recycling Centre and Resource Centres at Nelson Creek, Moana and Blackball. Please note this does not include flax, bamboo, cabbage tree leaves, tree stumps, branches greater than 75 mm diameter, soil and hardfill. These will need to be disposed of at the landfill.

Page reviewed: 07 Feb 2018 12:56pm