Reporting Changes of Land Use

2019-07-12T16:27:00 Pacific/Auckland

Property owners are reminded of their obligations under the Building Act 2004 and the Grey District Plan to advise Council of any changes in the use of their land.

For instance, if you own a residential property and you use it for any commercial purposes (i.e. where you generate an income), this represents a change of use. The actual change of use will determine whether or not you will be subject to any higher compliance requirements.

This reminder has been prompted by the rapid establishment of Airbnb’s, home offices, home-based industries etc in the Grey District and the reality that it represents commercial activities which need to be regulated on the same basis as formal businesses and which should also be making a financial contribution to Council’s income like other businesses/commercial operations currently do. Apart from this, there is an issue of user safety, something that Council takes very seriously.

Council has indicated that it intends to impose financial contributions on such changed uses as part of the next Long Term Plan (LTP), due to be developed in 2021. There are already legal requirements in place with regards to regulatory compliance and Council has an obligation to enforce them.

Property owners are kindly requested to contact the Environmental Services department to report changes of use. Failure to do so is a contravention of both the Building Act and the District Plan and is subject to enforcement, an avenue Council would prefer not to have to pursue.

We look forward to working together with property owners so please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Page reviewed: 12 Jul 2019 4:27pm