As part of phase one of implementation of the CBD
Redevelopment Plan, we’re seeking expressions of interest (EOI) from talented West
Coasters for a new sculpture/art work for the centre of
You may have a design idea that you want to submit for someone else to make, you may be an artist wanting to submit a design and build option or you may be someone willing to make up the winning design – we’re open to ideas and want to hear from you.
We have detailed some criteria and conditions below.
The theme is
Pohutukawa / Wild West Coast. This theme has been chosen to align with the
gorgeous Pohutukawas already dotted around our District, existing plantings
in the Town Square and the Wild West Coast aspect – well this could be just about
anything as this will mean different things to different people. But we
want it to complement our Untamed Natural Wilderness regional branding.
to hear your ideas and concepts.
Please submit your proposal to us by
31 March 2020
Budget - $20,000 for construction and installation
Theme – Pohutukawa / Wild West Coast
Site – to be confirmed (Town Square or nearby)
The proposed sculpture must be:
- Constructed by local West Coast artist.
- Safe for the public, especially children, to interact with or climb on. The proposed design will be subject to a risk assessment undertaken by Council’s Health and Safety Officer.
- Durable and constructed to a standard that has an expected life span of at least ten years.
- Relocatable (to move to an alternative location if required).
- Incorporate lighting, preferably solar but electrical connection may be possible.
- A maximum of two metres wide and three metres tall.
- In compliance with Council’s Public Art Policy.
- Completed and installed prior to Labour weekend.
The preferred artist will be chosen by the CBD Redevelopment Forum, which is made up of representatives from the Council, Greymouth Business & Promotions Association (BPA), Development West Coast and Mawhera Incorporation. This decision will be made by mid April and the preferred artist will be notified.
|12 February 2020
|31 March 2020
||CBD Forum meet to choose preferred option
||Design and construction agreed on. Preferred submitters notified and engaged.
|April to September
||Construction period (five months)
|End of September
|By mid October |
(before Labour weekend)
Submit your expression of interest
Please submit your proposed design and estimated costings to us by 5pm on Tuesday 31 March 2020.
If you have any questions, please talk to Penny Kirk, Engagement and Policy Facilitator, phone 027 287 6273 or email email@example.com.
You can download a hard copy of this information below.
Expressions of interest - CBD Redevelopment Plan - Sculpture (PDF,382KB)