There is great potential for restoring the estuarine and lagoon wetlands and coastal vegetation of Cobden Island to a more natural state and therefore encourage an increase in wildlife. The aims of this enhancement project include:
- To improve and protect existing wetland habitat to enhance inanga (whitebait) numbers and bird populations.
- To enhance the remnant coastal vegetation to support an increase in native species such as little blue penguin.
- To respect existing stakeholder use (such as the Speedway Association and Kahuna Boardriders Club) and to support their efforts in improving native vegetation and amenity areas adjacent to their activities.
- To add further facilities for more people to enjoy the natural environment by way of walking tracks, birdwatching opportunities and a landscaped community park by the sea.
- Encourage public understanding and appreciation of important ecological, cultural and historic values via interpretation, volunteer involvement and education opportunities.
- For it to become a destination for anyone interested in "birdwatching".
Please take the time to look through the proposed concept and site plans, project updates and find out how you be involved in upcoming planting days by clicking on the relevant tabs.
Cobden wetlands, with Cobden Lagoon in the lower left. Cobden Island is toward the right.