Inspections & Code Compliance Certificates



During the processing of the building consent, we will determine what inspections will be necessary to enable us to be satisfied on reasonable grounds that compliance will be achieved. Each inspection will be listed, along with any documentation requirements for that particular inspection, on the issued Form 5 building consent.

Please call 03 769 8608 to book each inspection. Grey District Council requires the applicant to provide at least two working days' notice prior to each required inspection.

You can find information on inspection types here.

Sometimes it is necessary for a specialist to conduct inspections or 'construction monitoring' in addition to the inspections carried out by Council. If a specialist inspection is necessary, you will be advised before the consent is granted and an agreement made on what this will cover. Typically these types of inspections involve having a geotechnical engineer confirm ground stability or having an aspect of specific structural design checked by a registered engineer.

Each building site is unique and will have its own individual requirements so it’s important you read the documents and pay particular attention to any conditions listed on your building consent, construction documentation and advice notes. All consent documentation must be kept on site at all times. To help identify your particular site, please ensure adequate signage is in place, especially in remote or rural locations.

Inspection results

Inspection results will be forwarded to relevant parties. The inspection notice will detail any items of building works that are considered to be incomplete and/or non-compliant. If building works are incomplete and/or non-compliant, the Building Control Officer will state on the inspection notice whether the works are to be stopped or continued (under specific conditions) or if a Notice to Fix could be issued.

In these cases it’s reasonable to assume that further inspections by Council will be necessary and this will also be indicated on the Notice of Inspection. If any of your building work is not approved at the time of inspection, you or your builder will be asked to rectify it and in the more serious cases, may be issued with a Notice to Fix detailing what must be done and by when.


During the construction phase of your project, it may develop that changes are necessary to the approved building consent. When building work is not constructed in accordance with the approved building consent, this will either require a formal amendment or could be approved on site as a minor variation.

Formal amendments are significant changes to the design and must be submitted to Council for approval before the building work is undertaken. Refer to Applying for a Building Consent for the two methods of submitting amendment applications.

Minor variations can be identified during the inspection and confirmed on site by the inspector that there has been a small change that will not affect the overall compliance with the approved documentation. These minor type changes can be recorded in the inspection notice. This will require professional judgement by the Building Control Officer to judge each case on its merits, asses and consider the significance of the proposed change and made and record a decision.

Code Compliance Certificates

When all the building work is satisfactorily completed in accordance with the approved building consent, a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) can be issued. This is verification from the Council (as BCA) that it is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building work complies with the building consent. It is an important document and should be retained for future reference.

It is mandatory to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate after all work has been completed. Council has 20 working days in which to decide whether to issue, or refuse to issue, a CCC. You can apply for your Code Compliance Certificate in the same way you applied for the building consent. Please refer to Applying for a  building consent.

If we have to request further information (RFI), the statutory working day count stops. Information requests will be emailed to the agent in the first instance. If the required information is not received within 14 days, a reminder will go out to the agent and copied to the owner. Please note that if the requested information or advice is not received within 28 days, the application may be refused as per the Building Act section 95A.

If your building consent includes the provision of specified systems, the Code Compliance Certificate will be issued alongside a building statement of fitness and a compliance schedule. The Building Act requires owners of buildings with specified systems to have a compliance schedule and to provide the Council with an annual Building Warrant of Fitness. Residential properties do not require a compliance schedule unless a cable car is installed.

Occupying your building before the CCC is issued

If your building is residential, then you can occupy it before CCC is issued.

If your building is open to the public, whether for free or payment of a charge, the building can not be used/occupied until a Code Compliance Certificate is issued. This is because public premises will generally have systems (called specified systems) within the building which contribute to life safety and well-being of the building user.

In certain circumstances it may be possible to apply for a Certificate for Public Use under section 363A of the Building Act 2004. This will allow a building to be used before the Code Compliance Certificate is issued. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Refer to Applying for a building consent for the two methods of submitting applications.


Any building which is open to the public, whether for free or payment of a charge, including:

  • Shopping malls, cinemas
  • Marae
  • Camping grounds
  • Garages and workshops
  • Funeral homes
  • Office and/or retail complexes
  • Rest homes etc


Council will also raise a final invoice to cover all outstanding costs associated with the balance of fees payable (eg processing of any amendments received, additional inspections over and above those determined at the processing stage etc). This will need to be paid before Council can issue the CCC.

Further guidance information can be found on our Customers and Designers Information page.

Page reviewed: 23 Apr 2018 9:52am