What is excessive noise?
- The level of noise that is acceptable varies according to the location of your neighbours, time of day, zone you live/work in, presence of sound barriers and the type of noise.
- The same noise levels during the day may not be acceptable at night.
- Noise from moving vehicles such as aircrafts, boats, trains and cars are not under our control.
- The Resource Management Act 1991(external link) (RMA) is designed to:
How loud is that?
- Complaints need to be made when the noise is occurring. We are unable to do anything about a complaint concerning noise after it has ceased.
- If the noise starts again after the officer has visited, call again and a noise control officer will revisit the address.
Assessment of excessive noise
What are Council's and Contractors Powers and Responsibilities?
Power to issue an Excessive Noise Direction (END)
How to be a good neighbour
Make a complaint
Complaints against you
What to do if your equipment has been seized
Page reviewed: 12 Aug 2019 4:14pm