Bar Managers


The Grey District Licensing Committee (DLC) is responsible for the certification of bar managers in our District. The Committee issues the following type of Manager's Certificate:

  • General Manager's Certificate – you can manage any licensed premises.

On-site requirements

All premises must have a certified manager on duty at all times when liquor is sold or supplied. A manager must also have his/her name prominently displayed inside the licensed premises at all times while on duty.

Criteria for a Manager's Certificate

In considering an application for a Manager's Certificate, the DLC will consider:

  • The applicant's character and reputation, including any recorded convictions;
  • Any experience managing licensed premises, in particular recent experience;
  • Relevant training and qualifications; and
  • Reports from the Police and licensing inspector.
  • For applications from managers of clubs​, the applicant's involvement in club activities is also considered.

If there are no objections from the DLC Inspector or the Police, and the DLC is satisfied that the applicant meets the criteria, then the appropriate certificate will be issued.

If there are any matters raised in opposition by the Police or the Inspector, the application will be forwarded to the District Licensing Committee for determination. This may result in a public hearing.

Applying for a Manager's Certificate

You can pick up an application form from Council offices at 105 Tainui Street or download it from the Forms page.

Once completed, please return it to the Grey District Council, 105 Tainui Street, Greymouth with your payment.

Information required with your application

Every application must be accompanied by the following:

  • A completed and signed application form, along with supporting documents;
  • Evidence of previous experience in managing licensed premises;
  • Evidence of relevant training and qualifications;
  • If you intend to be a manager of a particular licensed premises or club - evidence from the manager there to support your application;
  • A character reference from someone who can verify your suitability for holding a manager's certificate; and
  • The appropriate fee.

Temporary and acting managers

There is a difference between temporary and acting managers. It's important that operators/owners are aware of these differences and their implications.

Temporary manager

If a manager is ill or absent for any reason, or is dismissed or resigns, the Licensee may appoint a Temporary Manager (preferably in writing). They don't need to hold a Manager's Certificate but they must apply for a certificate within two working days after the appointment.

After the application is made, the Temporary Manager shall be deemed to be the holder of a Manager's Certificate until the application is determined.

If the appointee doesn't apply for a Manager's Certificate within two working days, or if the application is refused, the licensee must cease to employ the appointee as a Manager.

Acting manager

A licensee may appoint an acting manager (preferably in writing):

  • For any period up to three weeks at any one time where the licensee or a manager can't work because of illness or absence.
  • For periods up to a total of six weeks in each period of 12 months, so the licensee or manager can have some time off.

The person appointed acting manager shall be deemed the holder of a Manager's Certificate and doesn't need to apply for or hold a certificate.

Notifying the authorities of staffing changes

Under Section 231 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 licensees must notify two of the following agencies if they're appointing or terminating the employment of a Manager, Temporary Manager or Acting Manager.

The licensee must give notice to:

  • The National Liquor Licensing Authority; and
  • The Police; or
  • The District Licensing Committee where the application was filed with.

You don't need to notify the authorities if you're not appointing a Temporary or Acting Manager for more than 48 hours.

All notifications to the Grey District DLC must be made in writing. ​

Page reviewed: 31 Jan 2019 9:18am