Vehicle Entrance Guidelines



If you are building a new house or planning to upgrade your vehicle entrance, your vehicle entrance must to installed to Council specifications.

Properly constructed vehicle entrances look good and can add value to your property if it meets Council standards.

Road works consent process

Firstly, download the following documents:

Return the completed Road Works Consent Form to the Assets Management & Engineering Department, who will check the information on the form and then inspect the proposed work site to look at:

  • The present condition of the footpath, road etc.
  • What sort of entrance would suit the site and the use of the site (eg private cars, milk tankers etc).
  • The sight distances – this checks the entrance is in a safe position to reduce potential collisions.
  • Drains often run alongside roads and a suitable size pipe must be chosen for it so water can run freely under the entranceway.

Using this information, the correct driveway can be chosen. The applicant is then given a copy of the approved "Road Works Consent" with the information on:

  • Type of entranceway to be installed;
  • Size of drainage pipe under entranceway (if necessary); and
  • Any other requirements.


The property owner is to give two (2) working days' notice prior to starting construction and again once finished. The Assets Management & Engineering Department will need to do an inspection before the concrete is poured and again on completion. You can phone them on 03 769 8611 to arrange inspections.

Staff will check that the:

  • Entrance is built to Council standards; and
  • Area is reinstated to Council standards.

If there are problems, staff will contact the applicant as soon as possible so it can be fixed.

Legal requirements

The requirement to install your vehicle entrance to Council specifications is set by the Local Government Act 1974. Section 335—Vehicle Crossings states that Council can build vehicle crossings and recover the full cost from the owner or occupier of the adjoining land.

However, it has been Council's practice for practical reasons to allow owners or occupiers of adjoining land who need a vehicle crossing to construct or arrange to be constructed the crossing on the public road themselves.

Section 375—Penalties for Damage to Roads: For legal and safety reasons every person who works on a road needs the approval of Council. This can be easily obtained by following the above process.


Council recommends that if you use a contractor:

  • You obtain a minimum of three (3) written quotes.
  • You ask to see examples of their work.
  • Go with someone you feel comfortable with.
  • The lowest or highest price is not always an indication of the quality of work.

Traffic management

A Traffic Management Plan may be required to manage both pedestrian and vehicular traffic while construction is going on. The Assets Management & Engineering Department will help you write this and determine (if any), what signage or traffic/pedestrian control is required.


  • If the road is being reconstructed by Council, Council will renew or upgrade the vehicle entrance free of charge.
  • The installation or upgrade and maintenance of the vehicle entrance is on the property owner as they are the main user of the entrance.
  • Wood, pipe or steel plates in the kerb are not permitted as they can cause traffic hazards, so if extending or upgrading, the new standards apply.
  • As per Council Bylaw NZS 9201: Part 2: 1999. If the crossing becomes unsafe or unusable, Council may by notice in writing, require the owner of the property which the crossing provides access to, to repair, reconstruct, or renew such crossing to the satisfaction of the Council.
  • The owner shall be responsible for any alterations to existing service boxes, poles, telecommunication, power cables, stormwater pipes, tree removal or street furniture. The owner is required to notify the relevant service authority and arrange for any alterations to be carried out.
  • A Resource Consent may be required for parking areas or loading spaces on site.​
Page reviewed: 10 Jul 2020 4:49pm