Please check here often for related liquor licensing information and newsletters.
Last updated 29 October 2021.
Liquor Licencing application close-off dates for Christmas, New Year and Waitangi Day 2021/2022
“Silly season” is approaching fast and we would like you to be informed about the timelines and trading days for lodging licence applications – especially Special Licences.
Please note that between the following dates: 20/12/2021 to 15/01/2022 no applications can be processed. Take the time to go through the information below if you are planning to submit a licence application:
Timelines and trading days
The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 specifies timelines, deadlines and non-working days that can impact on filing and assessment of alcohol licencing applications.
Working days for lodging of licence applications
The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 defines a working day as a day that is not:
- A Saturday, a Sunday, Waitangi Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day, the Sovereign's Birthday, or Labour Day; or
- A day in the period commencing on 20 December in one year and ending with 15 January in the next year.
Special licence applications for the summer 2021/2022
- If your event date is between 19 December 2021 and 28 January 2022, you must make your application by 21 November 2021 at the latest, to ensure it can be processed and granted and issued to you by 19 December 2021. This includes all special licence applications for Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- If your event date is between 29 January 2022 and 13 February 2022, you must make your application by 4 December 2021 at the latest.
Waitangi Day 2022
- All special licence applications for Waitangi Day 6 February 2022 must be received by 4 December 2021.
We encourage you to apply early as this is our busiest period for processing applications. If you want the security of knowing whether your special licence will be granted, you should apply even earlier.
If you have any questions, please contact the licencing department on 03 769 8626 or 03 769 8607 or 027 283 0347.