How you can help
- Encourage your friends and family to do the right thing. Not only does illegal dumping cost the community a lot of money, it also has a major impact on the environment.
- Report any dumped rubbish to Council as soon as possible so contractors can remove it before people add to it.
- Take your rubbish home with you. This will help stop public bins from overflowing in popular areas. And if bins are already overflowing, don't add to the pile; take the rubbish home and dispose of it in your wheelie bins.
- When reporting rubbish, it is very helpful if you supply photos that have a location tag. This can be done by turning on your location services on your smart device before taking the photo. This enables contractors to go straight to the dumping site rather than spending time searching for the rubbish.
- If you witness illegal dumping do not approach the offenders but take notes or photos of the person and their vehicle. This can help with identification and prosecution.
- Do not pick up the rubbish and bring it to Council. Leave everything in place and take detailed notes/pictures and report it firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 769 8600.