Freedom Camping in the Grey District
Responsible Freedom Camping Bylaw
Council adopted a new Responsible Freedom Camping Bylaw on 8 December 2014 and it was amended on 26 November 2020, please download a copy of the bylaw below.
Please also read our frequently asked questions for further information.
Freedom Camping Act
New freedom camping laws came into effect on Wednesday, 7 June 2023.
The Self-Contained Motor Vehicle Legislation Bill includes the following key changes:
- Changes to where you can freedom camp. In general, you can only freedom camp on local authority land if your vehicle is certified self-contained. Check in with your local authority to find out more.
- Changes around certifying self-contained vehicles. Vehicles with a portable toilet are no longer able to be certified self-contained.
- Changes to infringement fees and fines. The original infringement fee of $200 has been increased to $400. Many of the fees will further increase when regulations come into force.
These rules have not changed:
- Camping in tents.
- Camping in vehicles at commercial campsites.
- Camping in vehicles on private land.